Style & Home
Bonfire Style July 13, 2018 12:58
There is nothing better than a summer bonfire, surrounded by friends and families. We can practically taste the gooey s'mores just thinking about it!
Before you can make the perfect s'more, you need a perfect outfit! These sweatshirts are great because they're super soft, super cute, and lightweight so basically, they're the perfect bonfire hoodie :)
This hoodie is a personal favorite! It has adorable ties up the side and feels like a dream! Literally, it is so soft.
This jade color has been so popular for our customers! We love the beautiful color and the terry cloth interior that makes this a great lake sweatshirt! It is also available in grey for those who prefer more of a neutral color :)
These sweatshirts pair nicely with our Spanx Camo Leggings and our Democracy denim so stop in for your new favorite hoodie :)
A Little Black dress isn't ALWAYS the best option June 08, 2017 00:00
It is a classic. It is a staple. But even Coco Channel herself (who pretty much made the little black dress famous) wouldn't want you to wear something you didn't feel fabulous in. And seriously I LOVE black, but on the days when my under eye circles are bigger and deeper than the norm or a day I am feeling particularly pale and junky, black just isn't my color.
The problem is that sometimes black can be to harsh for your skin tone. So you could certainly throw on a scarf or statement necklace to help bring some color or shine up by your face OR you could try a less harsh color for your little dress. Navy and grey are both nice, basic replacements for black and can be more flattering, depending upon your skin tone. So while a little black dress, can be your wardrobe best friend, a basic dress in another color isn't going to hurt you one little bit either.
Add a glow with make up: Bronzer February 21, 2017 00:00
Sometimes I wear makeup, and sometimes I don't. Which is probably why I get the dreaded questions: "Are you ok? Are you sick?" Some of the people in my life are used to me wearing it and some aren't. I don't mind. It usually just depends upon how lazy I am in the morning. Seriously, I have kids and they have yet to sell caffeine iv drips to the mass market.
Here is a picture of a subtle difference. Bronzer is one of my favorite things. It takes seconds to put on and I feel like it makes me more airbrushed. The picture on the left has no bronzer and the picture on the right has bronzer. It actually even seems to help the fine lines on my forehead.... ;)
Outfits we are loving: Fun & Flirty Dress May 12, 2016 16:31
Outfits we are loving! A little boyfriend inspired style April 13, 2016 22:10
Outfits we are loving! February 24, 2016 22:18
Click on the Article Title to read about this outfit. We would love to have you comment on your favorite piece.
Outfits we are loving! January 08, 2016 10:03
Pretty in Plaid October 02, 2015 15:35
Nude Shoes... Why they should be a wardrobe staple. June 10, 2015 00:00
Living in the community in which we are a part of at Boots & Heels we have a variety of women that come into the store to shop. Some love nude shoes just as much as we do and some have no clue why a nude shoe would benefit their wardrobe in any way. So here are 3 reasons you should have nude shoes in your closet.
5 Way to wear it: Wide Scarf June 03, 2015 14:42
Summer is a great time to get the most out of your wardrobe. Use this post as an inspiration to get the most out of your scarves. We also have the fabulous Echo Scarves pictured in the store as well... But you get the idea.
Building a wardrobe you love May 27, 2015 00:00
If you are reading this, you can rest assured, I probably love ya. Like seriously, it probably means that you come into Boots & Heels or are one of our web friends. Which means you support small businesses and even my little family. So I can't help but love ya. I personally pick and choose each and every item that comes into our boutique. So generally it is always something, I can see either myself or someone I know wearing. Picking these things mean I look at A LOT of clothing and shoes. A LOT. So I end up knowing few tips that I didn't know before I had the best job in the world. Here are 5 of my personal tips to building a wardrobe that you love.
1. A wardrobe is not something you create in a days shopping trip. A wardrobe should be something built or cultivated. Your wardrobe is a reflection of you and your personal style. Your personal style
3 Reasons to wear dresses as warmer weather approaches March 13, 2015 11:26
- They are actually comfortable, if you get over the fact that you feel to dressy or don’t want to stand out, whatever the reason you normally shy away, they are nearly like wearing pajamas in public…only stylish.
- Dresses are easy layering pieces for hot/cold temperatures in your office layer with a sweater or blazer and you have instantly easy polished looks.
- Dresses are one piece. ONE so if you don’t want to get into layering with it, you only have to take 1 thing from your closet, instead of trying to pick tops and bottoms that go together which for some people is intimidating. (This is also helpful on laundry day)
5 Tips to keep your closet "outfit ready" October 22, 2014 10:46
- Clear out all of the junk that you never use, use other closets in your house for storage the closet in your bedroom should be for the things you conveniently need to use everyday such as your clothing and accessories. You do not want to use up your visual space so you feel overwhelmed every time you look in your closet.
- Group like items together, for example pants hang with other pants, dresses hang with other dresses etc.
- Use displays for your jewelry so you can actually see it. If you have a shelf, dresser or other surface you can display your jewelry in candy dishes or serving dishes so it is easy to see, you are much more likely to use what you can see.
- Most of your wardrobe should be items that can be worn year round as much as possible however, undoubtedly you will have flip flops and swim suit cover ups you will not use during the cold winter months, invest in some tubs and remove those seasonal items until they are close to being in season again. This is again that valuable visual space that needs to stay as uncluttered as possible to make your life easier.
- Devote one section of your closet into “This weeks” clothing, take 10 minutes and plan out your wardrobe for the week. Put the entire outfit from pants, shoes, shirt and even the proper under garments together so it is quick and easy for you in the morning.
5 things we love about Fall at Boots & Heels October 05, 2014 23:02
- Boots: They are simply the best item in your closet at screaming: “It is getting cool out, put me on!” So you do… and you pretty much pledge that you will never take them off again. Just the sound of your boots crunching through the leaves will make you feel like a happier calmer person.
- Pumpkin flavored everything: Drinks, Muffins, Cookies, Breads, soups pumpkin is in everything this time of year.
- Scarves: The knits and fabrics get a little heavier, a little bit cozier and you sink into them a little as you sip you pumpkin spice latte, because you know life is good.
- The Air: The air in fall is crisp, clean and smells of harvest and trees turning color.
- Colors: Fall colors are amazing the yellows, reds and oranges falling from the trees, mimic nature and you will always feel confident and composed.
Fall: Boots and Pumpkin Chili October 01, 2014 15:38
As the weather changes so must our wardrobes. Saying goodbye to flip flops and shorts always seems to be sad for others. For myself fall is my favorite season. It brings comfy scarves; soft sweaters, candy corn and pumpkin flavored everything. But my most favorite thing for fall is the great assortment of boots that hit the floor at Boots & Heels. I know most of you think I must own a hundred pairs, but sadly no… because like most of you I am married. Hahaha
But in all seriousness, boots have been in style for so long and by all trend reports are on their way up in popularity and not down. So a good boot collection is a must for every wardrobe.
If you have yet to get into boots, I would recommend starting with a black, flat boot that you can wear for everyday with pants, leggings, skirts and dresses. Once you have this most basic boot, feel free to branch out further into the world of boots. Find the colors that pull on your heartstrings a little bit. I would seriously recommend a brown and a grey to round out your collection, but make sure you get a few with heels and a few flat, so you always have the perfect boot to pull out for whatever you end up wearing.
While you are feeling fabulously cozy in a great sweater and boots, I highly recommend trying the scrumptious Pumpkin Chili. I LOVE it. So much so it is the very first recipe that we have ever posted on our blog. I got the following recipe from www.facebook.com/ellelochtakechargefitness on her integral feed. Go ahead; eat FALL in a delicious bowl.
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped, chopped
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
1 Large Sweet Potato Diced
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 pound ground turkey
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with their liquid
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin purée
1 cup chicken broth or water
2 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
Ground black pepper, to taste
1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, sweet potato and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 10 minutes. Add turkey and cook until browned. Add tomatoes, pumpkin, water, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and add beans. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes more. Ladle chili into bowls and serve.
5 ways to keep your confidence Lakeside June 08, 2014 08:00
Wearing swimwear can make even the most confident person a little skittish and not want to come out of the water but we have some great tips that will make you feel confident and comfortable.
1. Find a great sunless tanner: Putting on an effective sunless tanner is a little like air brushing your skin and will totally help hide a few of the imperfections that drive you crazy.
2. Slather on the sunscreen if you want to avoid having more skin imperfections in the future sunscreen is going to be your best friend. There is nothing attractive about red, irritated or peeling skin.
3. Find a fabulous swimsuit cover that makes you feel like a million bucks. You don't have to run around the whole time in just your suit, a cover can make you feel more comfortable while you "ease in" to the whole nearly naked in public thing.
4. Add accessories, now I have seen on daytime talk shows where they accessorize with necklaces and high heels (but that is ridiculous and NOT real life unless you are going to a party) but a great pair of sunglasses, a nice floppy beach hat, a great pair of flat sandals (come on we are walking on sand/grass here). Can make you feel a lot more dressed, and that usually gives us all a confidence boost.
5. And the single most important tip: Make sure you swim suit fits and is not to small. You do not want anything cutting off circulation and creating bumps and lumps where you do not naturally have them.
Happy Lakeside hanging everyone!
3 Ways to wear it: Black Spring Knits March 18, 2014 08:58 1 Comment
If you have eyes in your head, you have probably seen that Black & White for Spring is huge this year. I for one, LOVE black & white so I am a little biased on the whole thing. Honestly though, how can you get any better? Crisp, clean color contrast that all can be pulled together effortlessly. It usually reminds me of classic beauties from throughout time. To me dressing is simple. If you put good pieces together and dress with a classic style, and your own personality in mind you will make it look effortless too.
In this first pic I am wearing the fine gauge spring knit dolman top with my old (seriously should be replaced) white boyfriend jeans. This is one of my favorite types of outfits for running around town. I can go shopping, out to eat (nicer restaurants loose the holes), go down to the beach super comfy and because they are so light weight very cool.
I know a lot of people were thinking: "What pants! NO WAY!" So I decided to be brave and show off my white white legs. Sorry... :) Here the same fine gauge black dolman is paired with a pair of white shorts, and a pair of coral sandals. Comfy and easy. I am sorry to say that it actually does not get any easier than black and white.
Now for the final look I wanted to show you what it with look like with tailored white trousers for work. But alas, I do not have any in my closet at the moment. So I am showing you what a long necklace would look like and asking you to imagine the trousers.
I am telling you after wearing this sweater to take these pictures that one is absolutely coming home with me. SERIOUSLY like tonight :) This is a look EVERYONE can wear. I have 2 kids, if I can wear white pants and shorts without ruining it so can you! A little bleach helps every once in awhile!
Plus: This spring sweater would look great with denim if you really desperately can't wear white.
When you have worn it seven thousand times. February 26, 2014 16:57
This winter I have had a black sweater that I have loved. It has been the first thing I have worn practically every time it has been clean. But this morning, I sighed... I feel like I have worn it 7,000 times. I didn't want to wear it. But we all know that sometimes you have to push those basic items to that seven thousand and one mark. I knew holding it up that I normally wear it with a certain scarf. I had fallen into a comfort zone with it this winter. Black Sweater, black and grey scarf, how BORING. At the beginning of the year it was sleek and streamlined but COME ON how do you not get bored with just black and grey.
But... It is still warm, it is still comfy and it looks cute. Soooooo, we reach for the accessories in the closet. I choose a pair of earrings I have not worn in forever, and a different scarf. I know, I know, there is nothing earth shattering about this, but it made me feel less grumpy putting it on. Because even though, I have had all 3 of the item, I had never worn them together in that way so it made the push to seven thousand and one.
So the final thought: Just because you have never worn it together doesn't mean it shouldn't go together. Make sure you shake yourself out of your comfort zone "outfits" sometimes you just have to pair things differently and you have a whole new look for the day. Plus, next week when it is finally warmer, I will wear my black sweater with a skirt :)
But P.S. I am really excited about the new Women's Clothing at Boots & Heels! I am going to start working Spring stuff in with my winter stuff to feel less blah. :D
Thoughts on Printed Leggings. February 22, 2014 15:41
So on my personal facebook page, I posted the following status:
"Anyone have thoughts on printed leggings? Would you wear them? One of the trends I personally have a harder time wrapping my head around. Hmmmm"
I got a mixed bag of reactions from my family and friends. Surprisingly all but one, of the 25-35 year olds that responded thought that printed leggings were for college and high school girls (which was kind of the way I was leaning). But the woman that responded that she loves them and wears them all the time is someone I consider to have a great sense of style. She also always looks put together and appropriate for the occasion.
However, others that responded were in the 35+ group thought that they were cute with the right outfits and if you had the confidence to pull them off.
My final thoughts on the matter: Anyone cannot do any trend. Sometimes you have to pick which trends actually represent you in the way you want to be perceived. I am guessing anyone can wear printed leggings as long as they have the rest of their outfit styled correctly and the confidence to pull them off.