Style & Home
5 things we love about Fall at Boots & Heels October 5, 2014 23:02
- Boots: They are simply the best item in your closet at screaming: “It is getting cool out, put me on!” So you do… and you pretty much pledge that you will never take them off again. Just the sound of your boots crunching through the leaves will make you feel like a happier calmer person.
- Pumpkin flavored everything: Drinks, Muffins, Cookies, Breads, soups pumpkin is in everything this time of year.
- Scarves: The knits and fabrics get a little heavier, a little bit cozier and you sink into them a little as you sip you pumpkin spice latte, because you know life is good.
- The Air: The air in fall is crisp, clean and smells of harvest and trees turning color.
- Colors: Fall colors are amazing the yellows, reds and oranges falling from the trees, mimic nature and you will always feel confident and composed.
Fall: Boots and Pumpkin Chili October 1, 2014 15:38
As the weather changes so must our wardrobes. Saying goodbye to flip flops and shorts always seems to be sad for others. For myself fall is my favorite season. It brings comfy scarves; soft sweaters, candy corn and pumpkin flavored everything. But my most favorite thing for fall is the great assortment of boots that hit the floor at Boots & Heels. I know most of you think I must own a hundred pairs, but sadly no… because like most of you I am married. Hahaha
But in all seriousness, boots have been in style for so long and by all trend reports are on their way up in popularity and not down. So a good boot collection is a must for every wardrobe.
If you have yet to get into boots, I would recommend starting with a black, flat boot that you can wear for everyday with pants, leggings, skirts and dresses. Once you have this most basic boot, feel free to branch out further into the world of boots. Find the colors that pull on your heartstrings a little bit. I would seriously recommend a brown and a grey to round out your collection, but make sure you get a few with heels and a few flat, so you always have the perfect boot to pull out for whatever you end up wearing.
While you are feeling fabulously cozy in a great sweater and boots, I highly recommend trying the scrumptious Pumpkin Chili. I LOVE it. So much so it is the very first recipe that we have ever posted on our blog. I got the following recipe from www.facebook.com/ellelochtakechargefitness on her integral feed. Go ahead; eat FALL in a delicious bowl.
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped, chopped
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
1 Large Sweet Potato Diced
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 pound ground turkey
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with their liquid
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin purée
1 cup chicken broth or water
2 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
Ground black pepper, to taste
1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, sweet potato and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 10 minutes. Add turkey and cook until browned. Add tomatoes, pumpkin, water, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and add beans. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes more. Ladle chili into bowls and serve.
Happy 4th of July Everyone! July 3, 2014 18:16
Happy 4th of July! I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday celebrating our wonderful nation and hopefully enjoying some relaxation with with friends and family. Our Boots & Heels store location in Devils Lake, ND will be closed on Friday, July 4th and reopen on Saturday, July 5th so if you can tear yourself away from the Lake we will have fun stuff for you to stop in and see. As always Thank you for allowing us to be "So much more than a shoe store"!