Style & Home
Be YOU June 16, 2017 15:55
While there are "rules" for dressing and "best practices" to achieve the most desired looks for your wardrobe at the end of the day do something that makes you feel good. If you want to wear leggings, everyday do it. If you want to wear a purple chicken suit, do it. But just make sure that it is because it makes you feel fabulous and not that you feel lousy, so you wave your hands of TRYING to feel great. Because one thing, I have learned in the years that I have been in retail, helping people to shop.... We all have some self loathing from time to time. If you just really feel like you don't know what looks good, enlist a friend, or store stylist (be careful, if they are commission based). But the bottom line? Find ways to make yourself feel great. Life is to freaking short not to.
A Little Black dress isn't ALWAYS the best option June 08, 2017 00:00
It is a classic. It is a staple. But even Coco Channel herself (who pretty much made the little black dress famous) wouldn't want you to wear something you didn't feel fabulous in. And seriously I LOVE black, but on the days when my under eye circles are bigger and deeper than the norm or a day I am feeling particularly pale and junky, black just isn't my color.
The problem is that sometimes black can be to harsh for your skin tone. So you could certainly throw on a scarf or statement necklace to help bring some color or shine up by your face OR you could try a less harsh color for your little dress. Navy and grey are both nice, basic replacements for black and can be more flattering, depending upon your skin tone. So while a little black dress, can be your wardrobe best friend, a basic dress in another color isn't going to hurt you one little bit either.
Outfits we are LOVING: Kimono paired with shorts June 05, 2017 00:00
So many of us like to layer, which is great, because it has many benefits. For one, a cardigan, kimono, jacket, blazer, all can help camouflage a tummy. Also, have you ever noticed that you get more compliments on your outfit when you are wearing layers? Seriously, it works nearly every time.
Think: Layer one + Top Layer + Bott
5 Things that you need for the summer May 30, 2017 00:00
1) Spray Deodorant - For Your FEET! Everyone I tell this to is like... duh, why didn't I think of that?! This can be a sandal lifesaver. Most of our feet sweat, there isn't anything wrong with that, but warm days and no socks to absorb the moisure... Just spray a little on you feet when you are sitting down... let air dry a little bit and you will be all set to have significantly less stinky feet by the end of the day.
2) Regular Old Deodorant (Not a gel or spray) - Use it for those pesky red bumps from shaving your bikini area! It helps to make them disappear. You can feel just that much more confident in that swimwear!
3) Comfy Flip Flops - Most people know this, and LOVE a good comfy flat, but I am surprised how much we get "i can't stand stuff between my toe" you probably need to find a more quality pair to try if this is something you say every year. The cheap ones, can murder your feet, so got to a better made shoe and you will be golden.
4) Everything tote - You need a bag that can haul all of your needs for summer, wether it is canvas or a softer synthetic leather, you always end of needing one, so make sure it is in your closet for when you need it.
5) Sunglasses - Not only should you protect your eyes from the sun, you can look darn good doing it. Plus you can wear these pretty much everyday so, you can really get your cost/use to nearly nothing. :)
Outfits we are LOVING! Sweet floral May 20, 2017 14:50
Patterns on your bottom half how to do it and look good. May 20, 2017 13:04
Here is the deal: Anywhere you put a pattern or some sort of embellishment that is automatically going to be the first thing that other people focus on when they look at you. This can be great, because you can use it to point out your favorite features about your body and it can be NOT so great, if you are pointing the thing you hate the most. For example if you always have hated your "thunder thighs" you maybe don't want to call attention to them. (Full disclaimer my legs have always been one of my least favorite parts... we all have them).
Think of patterns as a magnifying glass. So if a pattern is a magnifying glass, make sure you are magnifying the thing you want people to notice about you. If you are larger on the top and smaller on the bottom, a patterned pant may be a nice way to visually even yourself out. But if you are more of a pear shape ie. you are larger on the bottom than the top you should be really careful with patterns and choose something smaller in scale.
My golden rules for wearing a pattern on the bottom is that they should be less than 2 colors AND be age appropriate. I may be talking to you, adults wearing cartoon characters... They are totally fun for at home, knock yourself out, but unless you work at a daycare center (and even then thats iffy) pattens should reflect that you are an adult, not that you like Bart Simpson, or Ice Cream.
Have you heard? Twinning is ANNOYING May 11, 2017 23:28What is "twinning"? This is when you are walking along and see someone else in your same outfit. Blah... One of the major benefits of shopping with Boots & Heels is that we order limited amounts of tops and dresses. This means that in a community of less than 9,000 people, PLUS we sell online, we don't order huge quantities so you won't see yourself everywhere you go. Because seriously... ANNOYING
My personal story: I had recently bought a new dress at a place that rhymes with Claurices.... and decided to wear it to my Sister and Brother-in-Laws vowel renewal. Other than the Bride, the only women in attendance were my Mother-in-Law, myself and my Sister-in-Law's Best Friend. But guess what? Best friend and I were wearing the same exact dress! My Mother-in-Law making light of the situation joked, that we looked like brides maids! Neither Best Friend or I were impressed. Grrrr
We want our wardrobes to be our own. We all want to feel special and unique, because we are SPECIAL and unique. Every single one of us. So, it is one of our missions at Boots & Heels to help you feel special and awesome at every wardrobe turn.
Add a glow with make up: Bronzer February 21, 2017 00:00
Sometimes I wear makeup, and sometimes I don't. Which is probably why I get the dreaded questions: "Are you ok? Are you sick?" Some of the people in my life are used to me wearing it and some aren't. I don't mind. It usually just depends upon how lazy I am in the morning. Seriously, I have kids and they have yet to sell caffeine iv drips to the mass market.
Here is a picture of a subtle difference. Bronzer is one of my favorite things. It takes seconds to put on and I feel like it makes me more airbrushed. The picture on the left has no bronzer and the picture on the right has bronzer. It actually even seems to help the fine lines on my forehead.... ;)
The weather is getting colder.... Outfits we are LOVING October 25, 2016 12:58
In our climate, really we should all almost have more options for outwear than almost anything else. It is literally what we are seen in for 50% of the year so why not have a few different jackets to pick from in your closet? Especially classic silhouettes like this camel colored peacoat. It is never going to go out of style, so you can wear it for years to come.
Statement necklaces, go with EVERYTHING this time of the year. So find something that sparkles for around you neck and wear it all the time. :) We need a little more sparkle in the world.
Outfits we are LOVING: Plaids with a cute twist September 02, 2016 11:08
Outfits we are loving! Fall Bliss August 25, 2016 11:35
Margarita Night Recipes July 27, 2016 00:13
We had so much fun at Margarita Night! Below are the recipes for Margaritas that we tried. All of them were great and super easy. Each of them makes around 1/2 a standard pitcher full, so if you need more or less adjust accordingly. :) Also at the end is the recipe for the Chicken Enchilada Pinwheels (YUM).
Outfits we are LOVING! Vest paired with shorts July 26, 2016 14:16
This outfit is perfect for a lazy summer day and travels well. So for those upcoming vacations... ;)
Outfits we are loving: Transitional pretty July 15, 2016 13:02So we haven't had the most amazing hot summer that a lot of people were wishing for. Kind of a bummer and has definitely made for some "what to wear" dilemmas. The nice thing is if you have been a savvy shopper you have been able to get a lot more wear out of your light weight sweaters, since you can just wear your light weight knits with your shorts and tada you are dressed perfectly for a 55-70 degree day that we have been having a lot lately.
I am not much of a short lover (I don't like my legs we all have our things) so I wear a lot of dresses (which are more flattering to legs) and straight leg or non slouchy boyfriend jeans.
For weekend wear pair a distressed boyfriend jean with a lightweight sweater and roll the boyfriend jeans to show off this cute ankle strap sandal. You will be comfortable AND cute. Which is always our goal. :) This sweater also transitions really well into fall with a simple dark denim. You can keep your toes exposed with a little peep toe until the days get to rainy or cold.
Outfits we are LOVING: Garden Party June 04, 2016 11:22
Outfits we are LOVING: Easy summer layers May 25, 2016 22:50
Outfits we are LOVING: Navy & White May 18, 2016 17:42
Navy & White are classic, but the key to make this look updated instead of grandmaish is pairing a totally neutral shoe such as this taupe gladiator. Being to matchy matchy is exactly what can date a look and make you appear older. The key is to just add a little twist to make it feel fresh and updated.
Outfits we are loving: Fun & Flirty Dress May 12, 2016 16:31
Trend Alert: Tips to wear a cuffed pant April 26, 2016 16:33
This spring we are seeing a ton of styles of denim sporting a rolled cuff. This is one of the easiest trends to wear and you may have the ability in your closet already. Read on for tips.
- Boyfriend jeans ie. slouchier straight legged jeans are great for rolling up one or twice on your leg if you have more "athletic legs"
- Skinny legs? Try rolling up and cuffing your favorite skinny jeans, as long as your denim isn't a black stretch material inside this is a great option.
- Roll your denim up once or twice in about 1-1.5 inces wide
- If the denim is slouchier wear a more fitted top
- If the denim is "skinnier denim" pair it with a more flowing top
But what shoes do I wear? This really depends on how casual or dressy of a tone you want to set with your outfit but variations of any of the below styles will work to show off a little ankle bone. Try ballet flats, wedges, spring booties, or even a strappy gladiator sandal. Just have fun!
Outfits we are loving! A little boyfriend inspired style April 13, 2016 22:10
Outfits we are loving! Pretty Layers April 07, 2016 10:58
Outfits we are Loving: Bohemian Flair March 23, 2016 21:55
Bohemian styling is becoming more and more important as a trend. This trend will be continuing into the Fall of 2016 as well. Our style team at Boots & Heels always love to find a way for us to all wear a bit of trend, while keeping it visually appealing for everyday wear. And only investing in trends we know will be staying around for a little while so you get the investment wear back out of the pieces. So enter or beautiful crochet back vest. The fabric feels extra soft and luxurious while having the great crochet detail on the back. You can layer it with jeans and a tee as pictured and even over some of the casual spring dresses you already have hanging in your closet.
Get it here:
Warm Weather Basics Explained March 17, 2016 17:17
We all need basics in our closets. Basics can be beautiful things. They have the ability to transform key pieces of your wardrobe into heroes that you can wear time and time again.
Pictured above for INSPIRATION for you are examples of a few.
1. Denim Jacket - Not matter which color you choose a denim jacket will be the extra layer go-to for topping off all of your tanks and dresses.
2. Little black dress (Summer weight)- Important in your wardrobe because they can be dressed up or down by changing out the shoes and accessories. You can wear a black dress with a dangly earring and a strappy heeled sandal and go to a wedding; Wear it with flip flops and throw it on over your swim suit for margaritas on the beach; Or wear it with a denim jacket and cute shoes and go shopping.
3. Color Pop bag - This is where you can get creative. Find a colorful purse that makes you feel happy. I like mints and corals this time of the year simply because they coordinate with so many other colors (Mints, corals, black, white, navy)
4. Comfy wedges - If you find the right pair of shoes you can wear them almost anywhere life takes you. Be warned in shoes you generally get what you pay for, but there are certainly some wallet friendly options out there.
5. Great denim pants - Warm weather denim can be a lot more distressed than the dressier dark wash denim we tend to wear in the winter. In the warmer months, play with it and have fun by finding a wash that is a little out of your comfort zone.
Find some great warm weather basic option on our [website](http://www.bootsandheelsshop.com) or by visiting us at our Devils Lake store at 419 4th Ave NE.
Outfits we are loving! March 16, 2016 20:16
You could easily change out the amazing distressed denim for a trouser to wear the top half of this outfit to work.
- Page 1 of 3